It seems that I have temporarily lost the war with FEMA, at least for the present. I will need to comply with rules governing flood zones until the foundation is complete. Then the surveyor will produce an official elevation certificate which will show that my house will be above any flood plain. However, to be on the safe side, I'll probably opt for insurance anyway. With the planet warming as we speak, I'd be wise to provide myself some insurance for future water level rise. Things could be worse - I could be building on the beach. No one believes there will ever be standing water on the property, let alone in my home, but better safe than sorry.
The builder managed to get the building footers in prior to the extreme weather of earlier this week. With a little bit of luck, the foundation will be in by early next week. Then there won't be any delay due to frozen ground. I expect there will be many more delays before this is over. I can say that I'm enjoying the process anyway. I'm happily choosing things like siding, roof shingles, cabinets, appliances. And I'm learning that everything is more than my builder's allowances. I'm doing my best to be as energy efficient as possible, given the funds available: fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, water heater and heat pump will be "Energy Star".
So, although there isn't a lot going on to show or take photos of, a lot of things are happening behind the scenes. I even have a real street address, a mailbox that will go up in the next couple of days, and a local bank account. So maybe I'm just about an official resident of DE. Please note my new address: 604 Evergreen Lane, Milford, DE 19963.
Today I saw these wonderful Tundra swans grazing (and lazing)on the open fields west of Milford. It seems these, Canada geese and snow geese are in abundance here in the winter months.

3 comments:
Hola, Feef~ Glad to hear things are moving along, albeit slower than you would want. I read/heard somewhere that you should multiply 3 the time line a contractor gives you, so you don't stress out too much. It's cool that you have an actual address! At least you're not in the Poke-e-nose, where none of our snow/ice has melted in over a month(6 inches plus and counting).
I am so glad things are moving along smoothly for you. Having been there and done that, I know how frustrating it can be at times. . . especially when the weather doesn't cooperate and there's nothing you can do about it. Our house in St. Pete was to have taken 3 months. . . instead it took 6. The key word here is patience. . . much of which I do not have (as you know). It's pretty cold here with no relief in site for another week at least. . .then we should start having some "pre-spring" weather. I'm heading for the bay as soon as it warms up even a little bit. Wish you could be along. Take care and keep us up to date.
At last, our weather has warmed up enough to ride with the top down. I love it! I just hope we don't have another freeze. My yard looks like the devil had a dance in it! You probably know that the "Duke" and "Dutchess" are in England. I'm minding the animals and the grey cat (can't remember her name) actually came out to see me while I was there this morning. I'm glad your house is moving along. Again. . . patience is the key word here.
Post a Comment