Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter on Evergreen Lane

Below are a few snaps of my lot, looking front to back and back to front. Trees and underbrush have been removed to make way for the gravel driveway, the house and the septic system drain field. As in all Winter scenes, other homes aren't obscured by the many trees and bushes as they are in Spring and Summer. The rear border of the lot is a small creek that flows into Haven lake. (The photo of the creek, taken in May, is included.) I guess the creek, along with the shelter of trees, shrubs and ground cover, makes the property almost a bona fide backyard habitat for birds. Now I just need to supply a food source. No problem - I received a bird feeder for Christmas!




The foundation for the house will be started tomorrow, weather permitting. There has been a small delay due to FEMA and me. Their maps say I'm in a flood zone. But with help from a local insurance agent, I now have solid information from FEMA that I am in an 'x' zone and won't have to buy flood insurance. That's a big help, as it might save unnecessary spending for special flood vents too, if the county can agree with FEMA. Hmmm What are the chances?

Yesterday I chased the Obama-Biden pre-Inaugural train from Claymont to Wilmington, Delaware. I missed the best, closest view of the Veep and vice-Veep elect by a minute, thanks to the security checkpoint along the Amtrak line at a pedestrian overpass on I-495 in Claymont. Drat. But I did see him in Indianapolis prior to the election. I'll be glued to the tv on Tuesday, to watch, from afar, the inaguration.

I'll be posting regularly as the house progresses. I might even take a short RV trip along the way. Stay tuned.  

2 comments:

Gemma said...

Feef~
Glad you are back on the blog w. SCargo! Just happened to check it on a whim. This is a very exciting time for you and I will be following your progress!

Anonymous said...

Well, here we go again. I just got back from the "bay place". I was there for about a week and enjoyed every minute;however, it was cold but beautiful. The water was calm and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I'm so glad that you are moving right along with the house. . .can't wait to see it completed. Keep us updated. By the way, today in G'ville. it is cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table.