Thursday, April 10, 2008

Going It Alone - Here's the Story


Here I am, on the highway heading for Dauphin Island, AL. I don't have that Willie Nelson song playing ( On the Road Again )as I did on my first real camping trip in S Cargo with my home town friend from Pennsylvania. And no, I'm going it alone this time. Just me and the boys, Bubba and Newbie, my budgies. They're a whole other story for another time. I'm already missing my friend, as it was both a fantastic trip and a fantastic reunion. I tried every thing I could think of to get her to go to Bama with me this trip, but to no avail. Duty calls for her at home. (But I won't give up hope - there's always that chance...)

So this is the first overnight-type camping alone trip I am making as the new owner of the old RV. The migrating birds are flying over the Gulf of Mexico and I want to be there to see them when they stop to rest on Dauphin Island. I'm getting restless, as I've been seeing some migratory species in my back yard the past couple of days.
Yet the memories of the Florida trip keep re-running in my mind.hmmmm

The word's shortest synopsis of a 5 week trip:

In January my friend and I went on a road trip covering several thousand miles, taking us from the Panhandle of Florida down to Mallory Square in Key West. In between, I must say there were a million laughs as we worked through the trials of RV ownership, figuring out how to develop a blog, reading the hilarious comments from readers, and, oh yes, sightseeing. We also learned some new things along the way. But those are best left to the previous blog.

This is how it all started:

I began, or at least, set up this blog in 2007. After putting my house up for sale last Spring and watching helplessly while the real estate market went south, I decided to have some fun. What was I waiting for? I had nothing to keep me here, no appointments to keep, no 9-5 job to go to any longer. So I started searching for a small 'camper' type vehicle that was small enough to maneuver, big enough so as not to become claustrophobic, yet easy on the MPG. All of the sudden, there it was, my little 21 foot RV, S Cargo. Yes, it's not a race car and it's not new (a 1995), but it's perfect, and gets 17-22 mpg. That's better than a lot of cars.

Now, I'm used to going places on my own: I did it for 20 years on the job. So RVing sounded good to me from the beginning. This vehicle gives me the excuse to see friends I haven't seen for years; to go places I might not have gone to by myself and stayed at a hotel; and to go anywhere and everywhere I want in search of those enticing and almost always elusive birds. Yippee! Actually, that was my original thought as a name for the 'V'. Then "Snail" was mentioned by another owner of the same type vehicle. I thought, yes, snail, but this one is much more exotic - hence - S Cargo.

Stay tuned for reports as I go along on this trip. I'll be stopping in Ocean Springs MS, at the Davis Bayou campgrounds at the Guld Islands Nat'l Seashore, as that seems to be the closest place I can find to obtain a Senior Nat'l Parks lifetime Pass. You can't get it through the mail. I guess they have to 'look at you' to make sure you look old enough for it. ha ha If possible, I'll be staying there overnight, then on to Dauphin Island. It will be interesting, as these places were hard hit by hurricanes Katrina et al.

So it's off to parts unknown, looking for the next interesting sight, or happening. I'll be posting photos along with text, as usual. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm still in stock market shock, but I will be following along with you, Bubba, Newbie, and S Cargo.

Anonymous said...

I the stock market is looking a little better lately - hope it has turned the corner and is headed back up the hill!

What? Off on another trip? So soon? And what about those of us left at home to wrestle with the everyday doldrums and hassles?

What road are you on anyway? I am going out there to hitchhike and hope you will stop to pick me up.

Have a wonderful time.

Gemma said...

I'm with you, riding virtual shotgun. Can't wait to see your blog posts and pictures of all the cute birdies!

Ride on, Fifi, ride on!

Anonymous said...

Name for Newbie: Beautiful Blue Boy. That is the only way I can get 3 Bs in the name, so it will 'go' with Bubba. He would have to be Beauty or BB for short.

Or Blubba too, but I already suggested than one.